If you're reading this post, you probably have an idea of what World of Warcraft (WoW) is -- the most successful massively multiplayer online roleplaying game of all time. Blizzard claims more than 11 million subscribers (!) but the real number is estimated to be somewhere around 5 million (still !!!) To cut right to the point: I'm just not having fun anymore.
Between Skype and Ventrilo, I talk on through the computer almost as much as I talk on the phone. I need a headset that provides exceptional voice quality, and I prefer the headset to rock in the audio-out department as well. I lug all my computer stuff everywhere -- headset included -- and as it turns out, life on the road is pretty rough on headsets.
Lots of good stuff coming this week!
First, I'm still working on our super-secret project at WorkHabit. When this thing launches, it's going to change the face of... this one industry that I can't really talk about for now. It's a TON of work, and some really cool stuff is going into it, and I'll be sure and throw up some really cool examples once it's public and we can talk about it. I'm getting to work closely with Aaron again, which is a lot of fun as always.
We just had an impromptu conversation over here about validating phone numbers that morphed into validating email addresses and more.
Adam brought up the fact there are a lot of email addresses that don't pass the basic regex validation that a lot of sites use. In fact, there was a good discussion of this very issue on Slashdot in a larger article on regexes. One comment:
Komodo is a great cross-platform IDE. But I've noticed that as file size increases, Komodo's performance slows to a crawl, becoming practically unusable once files hit 2.5k lines or so.
I opened a thread about it on ActiveState's community site (which happens to be running Drupal!). It seems this is a known issue on OSX and they're looking into it.
It's super annoying when you're looking for a string in your code, so you do a recursive grep, only to get a ton of matches within svn's ".svn" directories.
Here's a solution:
Inside your ~/.bash_profile, insert this line:
alias rgrep="find . -follow \( -name ".svn" \) -prune -o -print | xargs grep -Hn"
Save it, then log out and back in. Now instead of
grep -ir "sprintf" *
When I was in high-school, I worked at an office supply chain in the "Business Machines" department. I sold computers, adding machines, Palm Pilots (the first revision!), printers, cables, you name it. Aside from helping customers, I had to stock those items on the floor, take daily inventory, complete cleaning/organizing projects, set up new displays to specs (Planograms) and take on whatever other tasks my managers wanted me to finish. Eventually, I was promoted to "Business Machines Lead" -- which came with a sweet $0.75/hr raise.
So I'm working on a project now where nodes are mass-imported from a third party. By default, these nodes are unpublished until the delegated party can add additional information that the import can't capture. We publish the node when it's through being reviewed and updated.
To be clear, the workflow looks like:
1) Import nodes (CCK type: "Item"), default status is Unpublished.
2) User with "Reviewer" role looks at the queue of Items that needs reviewed
3) Reviewer reviews Item nodes, then sets them as Published.
Here's the problem though: